SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH MEAT SAUCE
Trim Empty Carbs From Your Diet While Whittling Away Your Waistline.
-Muscle & Fitness June 2014, pg 134
Lately I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen and I must say things are going well, especially after years of being told, more than once by different people, to just stay out of the kitchen (okay so I’m capable of burning water – lol).
Give this dish – Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce – an A+…give me one as well cuz I done did good with this one.
This is the second dish, out of 5, from Muscle & Fitness’ June 2014 “The Replacements” article. All about smart swaps for reducing carbs in popular dishes. By swapping out spaghetti with spaghetti squash you slash33 grams per cup!
It’s like eating spaghetti
minus the carb overload AND what spaghetti squash lacks in carbs it makes up for in vitamin C, which can improve muscle recovery and immune health.
To Just B Healthy & Fit you must eat healthy, in addition to, getting fit.
SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH MEAT SAUCE details!
- 423 cals
- 14g fat
- 32g protein
- 47g carbs
What you’ll need:
- 2 medium-sized spaghetti squash, but I used 1 and it made A LOT.
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef – I used 100% grass-fed, organic. See why here
- 1 26oz jar herb-flavored pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese – I used fresh, it’s SO delicious and doesn’t contain the added ingredients that are in the can.
How to make:
- Slice squash in half; remove seeds. Place halves in dish or on a plate flesh side down. Cover with paper towel. Microwave on high 8-12 minutes or until tender (if you’re like me & don’t own a microwave use a neighbors…that’s what I did because I don’t know what the equivalent oven time & temp would be. If you know please leave in comments below – thanks). Let stand 5 minutes, then scrape clean (it comes out in stands – like sghetti).
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and red bell pepper; cook 2-4 minutes (I did 3 minutes. Remove vegetables and put ground beef in pan – cook until browned (about 5 minutes). Return veggies to pan with sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve strands topped with meat sauce and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Please post your results, modifications, opinions, comments, critiques, similar recipe, etc., and your questions for anything that may be unclear to you, below or on my FaceBook fan page (Just B Healthy & Fit)…while you’re there please “like” my page, I’ll gladly return the favor.
Interested in a power packed, clean, quick and easy meal that doesn’t take much time, thought or effort…SHAKEOLOGY – The Healthiest Meal In A Glass.
Being that I’m a BeachBody coach (distributor of Shakeology) some may think my opinion of it is based on compensation; FoodFacts.com, unrelated to BeachBody, provides health scores for different products…click HERE to see what they said about Shakeology!
Recent Related Posts:
PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM FOR PIZZA CRUST
PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM PIZZA Trim Empty Carbs From Your Diet While Whittling Away Your Waistline. -Muscle & Fitness ...read more
EATING TO LOOK PHAT
A GUIDE TO PRE AND POST WORKOUT NUTRITION The recommendations above include both Animal and Plant-Based ...read more
PLANT-BASED VS ANIMAL-BASED PROTEIN; WHICH IS BETTER?
PROTEIN: A macro-nutrient that EVERYBODY needs. Beyond its well known reputation for building muscle, protein also ...read more
SWAMP WATER RECIPE?
Just in…studies show that swamp water is now beneficial for the drinking BUT… NOT THE ABOVE ...read more